Fusion Specialties (“Fusion”) is a state-of-the-art designer, niche manufacturer, and distributor of custom mannequins, forms, and other visual merchandising products to the global retail industry with a number one domestic market share position.
In 2007, Fusion's two founders sought out a financial partner to elevate systems and processes, pursue M&A, and accelerate several growth initiatives. During six years of partnership, through which both founders retained significant ownership stakes, the support of Blue Sage helped dramatically improve performance and operationally transform the company, leading to a successful sale to a strategic acquirer in 2013.
Blue Sage Capital Partnership Initiatives
- Migrated to more cost-efficient production facilities, meaningfully improving gross margins
- Provided financial and operational support for significant product line expansion
- Negotiated and funded strategic acquisition of a financially distressed competitor in the middle of the Great Recession, closing in 14 days, that provided incremental cash flow alongside strategic product and distribution diversification
- Navigated Great Recession and significantly expanded top-line performance despite this headwind
- Improved international distribution
- Expanded innovative product line utilizing novel materials
- Successfully exited to strategic acquirer
This case study is presented for illustrative purposes only and represents a select past investment made by Blue Sage Capital. A full list of investments is available on our website. The investments identified and described do not represent all of the securities purchased or sold. The Reader should not assume that an investment in the securities was or will be profitable.